I. Application conditions
Citizens from countries which have signed an Agreement with Latvia or offer scholarships for Latvian students can apply for the Latvian state scholarships. See the section ELIGIBLE COUNTRIES.
Scholarships for applicants from one country may not exceed 10% from the total grant amount for study scholarships of the year in question.
Tuition language at Latvian higher education institutions (HEIs) is Latvian, but there is a lot of study programmes offered in English (www.studyinlatvia.lv; list of HEIs).
Applications for bachelor`s and the first level of professional higher education studies will be accepted from students who have successfully completed at least one academic year of studies (at their home HEI or at a Latvian HEI if they already have been studying in Latvia) at the moment of application (February, March 2016).
Scholarships for bachelor`s and master`s studies are granted for a time period up to 10 months (for PhD-students – up to 11 months).
Scholarship for master`s studies in the study programmes of Latvian philology, Latvian literature, Latvian culture and Latvian history can be granted for two academic years, i.e. for the duration of master`s study programme.
If a student wants to continue her/his studies in Latvia for one more year, she/he has to apply for the Latvian scholarship again. The Latvian scholarship can be awarded not more than for two consecutive terms to one individual.
In general, the academic year in Latvia lasts from 1 September to 30 June.
II. Application procedure (deadline 1 April 2016 (postmark date or 17:00 if submitted directly at the Agency))
Documents shall be sent to the following address:
State Education Development Agency
Vaļņu iela 1
- Application form:
- Curriculum Vitae (applicants are asked to use the Europass CV form).
- Letter of motivation (also including activities outside studies related to study field).
- Certified photocopies of diplomas, including diploma supplements or equivalent documents or a transcript of records ( if studies are not finished yet).
- Two letters of recommendation of the academic staff dated not earlier than six months prior to the date of submission of the application.
- A letter of the relevant Latvian HEI confirming the possibility to study in the chosen study programme and the language of studies (Latvian or other EU official language). Please contact the International Relations Department/Unit or Foreign Students Department/Unit of the Latvian HEI directly. List of contact persons in the Latvian HEIs:
- Study or academic work plan for planned duration of receiving a scholarship. Please use the form:
- Certificate or other document certifying the language proficiency required for studies.
- Copy of passport.
Other important information
- All documents, which are not in Latvian or English, shall be translated into Latvian or English. All translations shall be officially certified.
- Curriculum vitae and a letter of motivation shall be dated and signed.
- The application form and all the enclosed documents shall be submitted in two sets.
- Any incomplete applications or applications handed in after the deadline will not be taken into consideration.
- Documents sent by e-mail will not be accepted.
- The submitted documents will not be returned.
- Application dossiers for scholarships for studies at Latvian HEIs have to be sent directly to VIAA with the following exceptions: Lithuanian, Estonian, Czech, Hungarian and Polish candidates have to send the dossiers to the competent authorities of their countries:
- All applications will be evaluated and the final decision on granting scholarships will be made by the evaluation committee of VIAA. Quality evaluation criteria:
- The list of accepted candidates will be published on the website of VIAA (English version) in June 2016. All candidates will be informed personally about the results by e-mail.
III. Financial provisions
The amount of the Latvian scholarship for studies is:
- for bachelor`s and master`s students – 500 EUR per month;
- for PhD students – 670 EUR per month.
- If the Latvian HEI asks the foreign student to pay tuition fee for the chosen study programme, he/she can use the scholarship for covering of the tuition fee or for accommodation and meals. Please take into account that the amount of the scholarship is not high enough to cover both.
- Upon request, the host HEI provides the scholarship holder with a place in a dormitory or a guesthouse. Requests for accommodation in the international student dormitories must be submitted one month before arriving. In any month in which the foreign student is present in the territory of Latvia for less than 15 calendar days no scholarship is provided.
- The Latvian scholarship cannot be awarded concurrently with other scholarships.
- Travel expenses to the Latvian HEI and back to the country of origin are not covered by the Latvian scholarship.
- Scholarship holders are required to make their own arrangements for insurance coverage.
Please visit the website of the VIAA for useful links to information sources for foreign students in the Republic of Latvia.
Please read Cabinet Regulation No. 68, adopted 24 January 2012, “Procedures for Granting Scholarships to Foreigners”
Stipendiju piešķiršanas kārtība ārzemniekiem: www.likumi.lv (LV)
Additional information on the scholarships granted by VIAA can be obtained in the International Cooperation Programme Unit, Management and External Cooperation Department, VIAA.
Ms Aija Jakovica
Senior Specialist of the International Cooperation Programme Unit
Phone: + 371 67814331
Valsts izglītības attīstības aģentūra (VIAA, State Education Development Agency)
Vaļņu iela 1, Rīga LV-1050