The purpose of the programme - to develop the skills of new scientists and to increase the scientific capacity, ensuring the possibilities for new scientists to start a career in scientific institutions and with enterprises, as well as improvement of research competencies, renewal of human resources and increase in the number of qualified specialists.
The target group of the programme is postdoctoral researchers (PR) – Latvian or foreign researchers who have acquired doctorate not more than 5 years before the deadline for submitting the research application.
A PR from abroad may implement the following aided activities within the scope of a research application:
- acquisition, approval and defence of intellectual property rights,
- knowledge and technology transfer,
- training, international mobility and networking.
The conditions of the project:
- a research applicant is a scientific institution or enterprise of the Republic of Latvia, which establishes employment relations with a PR and ensures access to infrastructure and human resources for implementation of the research necessary within the scope of the research application,
- the maximum total eligible funding of a research application shall be 133 806 euros,
- the maximum duration of the project implementation is 36 months.
An open selection of research applications is announced in the portal of the European Commission “Euraxess”.
Latvia welcomes young scientists from abroad to apply for post-doctoral research aid programme, according to the following steps:
- The State Education Development Agency (SEDA) announced an open selection of research applications, publishing a notification in the portal of European Commission “Euraxess” on 6th February,
- The foreign PR shall contact either SEDA consultants who would provide the information on how to find contacts in Latvian scientific institutions or enterprise in a particular field of science or contact Latvian scientific institutions directly,
- The foreign PR shall prepare a research application and curriculum vitae (CV),
- The foreign PR shall submit the research application to the selected Latvian scientific institution or enterprise (Latvian scientific institution or enterprise could organise open pre-selection).
- The Latvian scientific institution or enterprise (a research applicant) together with the foreign PR who appears to be the winning candidate of the open competition shall prepare and submit the project application to the SEDA.
The programme will be implemented by 2023, and calls for proposals will be organized every year.